So.. I was thinking of ways to get my day started that jump starts my system, or puts me in the right frame of mind. Here are just a couple of ideas I developed. All of which I think I’m going to do today. 😛
- Write yourself an encouraging note and put it in your pocket. Oftentimes we’re our own harshest critic. Give yourself some leeway and a boost for when you’re beating yourself up for the latest mistake.
- Write a poem. This opens your mind to something you might be repressing or maybe it’s just a way to think outside the box.
My poem this morning: Gentle, soft lover, fast asleep, You wriggle the toes on your miniature feet, a sweet scent of powder and youth, Warm and tender, no cries yet to soothe, I’ll remember this time when you’re old and stubborn, my sleeping prince, my gentle, soft lover.
- Stretch. There’s nothing like stretching to help wake you up and help your body feel good. It gets the blood pumping and helps tone all those muscles you may or may not use today.
- Say “Thank You.” It’s along the same lines as be grateful. Every time you start a new activity (showering, starting the coffee, getting dressed, etc.) say “Thank You” to whatever higher power you believe in. I feel stupid sometimes when I do it (“Thank you for the fruit that makes the jam on my toast..”) But it changes the way you look at things. Just remember. You don’t have to have jam for that toast! Which leads me to my next point..
- Practice Positivity. I’ve caught myself in this. I get overwhelmed, stressed, or even just trying to commiserate, and I practice negativity. Then everything is negative and, goshdarnit, if there isn’t even a ray of sunshine for my sorry ass! SO. In order to counter this attack (because you’re silly if you don’t think you’re attacking yourself) I take a deep breath and look for positive things. Even if it’s just rolling on the floor with a dog (yes, this makes me happy). Stopping, getting out of your head, and practicing saying/doing something positive makes it that much easier to change your attitude and start doing something constructive with that energy instead of thinking of how sorry you/your life are/is.
I think that’s a pretty good start. If you have anything that helps you in the morning I’d love to hear about it! Good luck with your day today, and may the force be with you.